COMMON SURGICAL EMERGENCIES
As a general surgeon, Dr Kavin performs a range of emergency surgeries at the Netcare Christian Barnard Memorial Hospital. With years of experience and his surgical expertise, he is well equipped to handle any type of emergency surgery, day or night, seven days a week.
With the state-of-the-art facilities at the hospital, advanced monitoring, diagnostic equipment and surgical technology, Dr Kavin offers surgical assessment and management of all surgical emergencies, including the more complex cases that require post-operative follow-ups.
From burns, major skin infections and trauma to acute appendicitis, fractures and intra-abdominal emergencies, he is extremely adept in the management of surgical emergencies.
Common medical emergencies that require surgical care:
- Trauma injuries
- Acute Appendicitis
- Cholecystitis/ Gallbladder infections
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Peptic ulcer complications
- Acute Pancreatitis
- Diverticulitis and complications
- Ulcerative colitis management
- Crohn's disease and complications
- Bowel obstruction
- Paediatric emergencies
Elements of emergency surgical provision
- Undertaking emergency operations at any time, day or night
- The provision of ongoing clinical care to post-operative patients and other inpatients being managed non-operatively, including emergency patients and elective patients who develop complications
- Undertaking further operations for patients who have recently undergone surgery (i.e. either planned procedures or unplanned 'returns to theatre')
- The provision of assessment and advice for patients referred from other areas of the hospital (including the emergency department) and from general practitioners. For regional services, this may include supporting other hospitals.
- Early, effective and continuous acute pain management
- Communication with patients and their supporters
Operating from the new state-of-the-art, multi-disciplinary facility equipped with only the most advanced medical technology,
As one of only two such robots in the Western Cape, Dr Kavin operates from a hospital boasting Robotic Surgery capabilities,
As a surgeon with adept skill in minimally invasive techniques, Dr Kavin opts for laparoscopic keyhole surgery whenever possible.
Dr Bruce Kavin is a General Surgeon with particular expertise in Endocrine, Colorectal and Gastrointestinal Surgery and Surgical Oncology.